Tuomo Sainio is professor of Chemical Separations in Laboratory of Separation and purification at Lappeenranta University of Technology (LUT), Finland.
About Chemical Separations:
About Tuomo Sainio:
- 2005 Doctor of Science, LUT, “Ion-Exchange Resins as Stationary Phase in Reactive Chromatography”
- 2005-2012, Post-doc researcher at LUT Laboratory of Industrial Chemistry
- 2006, 2008 Post-doc researcher exchange at Max Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems, research group of prof. Andreas Seidel-Morgenstern, Magdeburg, Germany
- 2008-2014, Title of Docent (Separation technology, especially Industrial chromatography), Department of Chemical Technology, LUT
- 2012-2013, Professor, Industrial Chemistry, Laboratory of Separation Technology, LUT
- 2014-, Professor, Separation processes, LUT School of Engineering Science
- 2013-2016, Head of B.Sc and M.Sc degree programs, Chemical Engineering, LUT
- 2016-, Director of Chemical and Process Engineering M.Sc degree program, LUT
His research interests range from the fundamental phenomena to the development of process design methods for integrated separation processes and include:
- Mathematical modeling
- Physical phenomena in chemical rectors and separation units.
- Industrial chromatography
- Theoretical analysis of chromatographic separation process and their modes of operation
- Recycling schemes for chromatographic separation processes
- Continuous chromatography (various SMB configurations)
- Applications in bio-refining, especially fractionation of biomass hydrolysates and extracts
- Applications in food and fine chemicals industries
- Adsorption and Ion exchange:
- Treatment of drinking and process waters (e.g. removal of antibiotics, hormones, phenolic compounds, surfactants, etc.)
- Treatment of process waters and effluents
- Purification of hydrometallurgical solutions- Development and design of continuous SMB type ion exchange processes
- Ion-exchange resins as catalysts and adsorbent
- Solvent extraction
- Hydrometallurgical recovery of valuable metals from secondary sources
- Development of process design methods
- Process intensification
- Chromatographic reactors, thermal effects in reactive chromatography
- Intensification of solvent extraction by using high-shear mixers
- Integrated reactor-separator systems
- 63 peer-reviewed articles in international scientific journals
- 3 peer-reviewed articles in edited books
- 1 international patent application (EU and US regions)
- 75+ papers and presentations in international scientific conferences
- Number of citations:
- 636 in Google Scholar,
- 485 in Scopus
- – h-index: 15 in Google Scholar, 13 in Scopus
- – i10-index: 23 in Google Scholar (number of papers with ≥ 10 citations)
To find out more or to enquire about research possibilities;
This member is
Member's key competencies
- Battery metals
- Food & beverage
- Oil & gas
- Pharmaceutical / health
- Pulp & paper
- Sidestreams / recycling
- Water and wastewater
Products and services
- Piloting services
- Research services
Technologies and solutions
- Ion exchange
- Biobased separation and valorization
- Biochemicals and bioenergy separation solutions
- Contaminent/pollutant removal
- Metal/REE recovery and recycling
- Recovery and recycling of valuable compounds
- Recycling (residues/sidestreams/waste)
- Solvent/ionic liquid/eutectic solvent use/ recovery/reuse
Supporting technologies and services
Member's place in the value chain
- Components ›
- Technology development ›
- OEM ›
- Technology provider ›
- System integrator ›
- Full plant delivery ›
- EPC ›
- Consumables ›
- Service provider ›
- Build consortium ›
- Co-ordinate the Writing process ›
- Coordinator ›
- Partner ›
- Provide piloting site ›
- Steering team participant ›
Current mine water treatment options are aiming in the purification of a waste product and separating this waste product into two streams: a purified ...
Multi-Stakeholder Platform for a Secure Supply of Refractory Metals in Europe Refractory metals (tungsten, tantalum, rhenium, molybdenum and niobium) ...
Objective CEESIMP establishes a doctoral course for Circular Economy Entrepreneurship in System Integrated Metals Processing (SIMP). CEE-SIMP, a cour...
The best resources have been mined quite some time ago. More effective recycling would reduce the need for mining and energy consumption and would mak...
New WWT requirements 2050
Smart effluent solutions for new waste water treatment requirements 2050...
Photo catalytic water decontamination
Synthesis and visible light photocatalytic activity of perovskite materials bound to a magnetic core for efficient water decontamination...
Ioncell-F for Solvent Recycling
Technical Development of Ioncell-F with special Emphasis on the Solvent Recycling...
Oligosaccharides with Controlled Degree of Polymerization from beta-Glucan (CTRL-DP) Functional foods offer benefits for human health, well-being or p...
Solvometallurgy Infrastructure and Expertise Network (Solvoflex) provides infrastructure in solvometallurgy through the Single Point of Contact and th...
Recovery of rare earth elements from phosphogypsm (REE-PG) Background: The uses of rare earth elements (REE) in technologies that contribute to enviro...
Member's resources and equipments
Batch Adsorption/IX /Chromatography
Vcol=20 mL….100 mL…….1000 mL UV/VIS, RI, fraction collectorAsk about availability
Continuous SMB IX/Chromatography
Up to 10 columns with “simulated counter current flow of liquid and solids. Fully automated. Several process concepts possible.Ask about availability
Pilot scale adsorption/IX/Chromatography
Vcol=24 L (2 x 12 L).30 L Feed tank, 10 L recycle tank, fully automated.
Several process concepts possible, including SSR recycling in ion exchange and chromatography