Mari, is head of the Laboratory of Separation and Purification at Lappeenranta University.
She has a long history in separation processes especially related to membranes. Over the years she has applied membrane technology to many challenges. Her knowledge of industrial applications and the ability to combine her strengths with the strength of her team result in concrete solutions to both current and future industry needs.
Mari’s experience includes;
- Treatment of different forest industry and biorefinery process streams as well as different streams from food industry and different wastewaters; recovery of valuable compounds (for instance hemicelluloses, lignin, cellulose, hydroxy acids, nutrients, proteins, sugars, acids); closing of water cycles; wastewater treatment
- Use of membranes in extreme conditions present and understanding on that how membranes are changed due to the extreme conditions and how they withstand the extreme conditions (high/low pH, temperature, pressure, solvents)
- Tailoring separation in membrane applications
- Real-time monitoring of fouling and development of methods for i fouling mechanisms studies
- Development of pretreatment processes and strategies to minimize fouling in different membrane filtration applications
- Use of novel solvents (deep eutectic solvents) in recovery of valuable compounds from biomass and the use of them in membrane manufacturing
- Recycling of deep eutectic solvents and ionic solvents
- Development of novel methods for fouling analysis
Mari is the Director of the Re-source Platform
- LUT RE-SOURCE addresses the need to transition from a LINEAR ECONOMY to a CIRCULAR ECONOMY with novel separation and purification processes that achieve a new level of raw material efficiency and optimised use of water and energy, enabling the cost-efficient and sustainable use of waste as a resource. They also develop sustainable business models and an understanding of customer needs and market knowledge for the future.
- The platform consists of 19 research groups working at LUT, which carry out their research in platform research teams:
- Fin out more about the Re-Source platform
This member is
Member's key competencies
- Battery metals
- Circular economy
- Food & beverage
- Metals & mining
- Pharmaceutical / health
- Pulp & paper
- Sidestreams / recycling
- Water and wastewater
Technologies and solutions
- Water treatment technologies
- Biobased separation and valorization
- Biochemicals and bioenergy separation solutions
- Contaminent/pollutant removal
- Metal/REE recovery and recycling
- Nutrient recovery and recycle
- Recovery and recycling of valuable compounds
- Recycling (residues/sidestreams/waste)
- Solvent/ionic liquid/eutectic solvent use/ recovery/reuse
- Water and wastewater treatment and reuse
Supporting technologies and services
- 3D printing
- New business models
- Process optimization & efficiency
- Realtime monitoring
Member's place in the value chain
- Components ›
- Technology development ›
- OEM ›
- Technology provider ›
- System integrator ›
- Full plant delivery ›
- EPC ›
- Consumables ›
- Service provider ›
- Build consortium ›
- Co-ordinate the Writing process ›
- Coordinator ›
- Partner ›
- Provide piloting site ›
- Steering team participant ›
Arctic Oil-Spill Response
Background: The climate change is opening the Arctic region from permanent ice coverage and makes it more attractive for several industrial activities...
The project aims at investigating the nutrients recovery from local wastewaters using the novel technology of Microbial Nutrient Recovery Cell (MNRC),...
Purification methods depend on the pollutants that should be removed and the type of water to be treated. For example, the term “mine water” inc...
The project aims to the development of a membrane, of which catalytic activity decreases lignin originated fouling in biorefinery applications. Today,...
Lung cancer biomarkers in exhaled breath for early stage cancer screening (LC-Prevent). The main objective of this project is to develop, test and val...
Development of novel coagulants
The Development of novel coagulants via reusing of mine tailings and Acid Mine Drainage project goals are to develop novel, cost-effective and univer...
The aim of the project is to develop new solutions for the management of mining waters and increase eco-efficiency in cooperation with Arctic Power an...
Detection of water pollutants with IMS
Application of differential mobility spectrometry for detection of water pollutants...
Recycling opportunties in South Savo
Opportunities for cycling economics in South Savo...
Waste sludge for utilizarion
The goal of the project is to develop new solutions for the treatment of municipal sludge in order to utilize it in fertilizers and water treatment ma...
The aim of the research is to investigate aspects of production and use of new efficient and sustainable chemical oil-spill response techniques in Arc...
From traditional sewage treatment to a resource plant (Resource Factory) The goal of the project is to create a totally new wastewater treatment conce...
Removal of heavy metals from industrial and urban sludge by coupling bioleaching with enhanced electrochemical technologies (Bioliete)...
Removal of micro plastics from WWTP
Background: In recent years, there has been increasing environmental concern about micro plastics (MP). Due to their microscopic size, MPs are conside...
Lignin based filtering materials
Development of Novel Cost efficient lignin based filtering materials...
Catalytic membranes for decreasing of lignin originated fouling (FOULSENS) aims to the development of a membrane, of which catalytic activity decrease...
In this project the aim was to evaluate availability of wood raw material, especially underused wood raw material streams and the quantities of hemice...
The CEREAL Project The food industry is a major water consuming sector, namely the vegetable processing, dairy, meat and the seafood sectors. About 70...
The program lays a solid foundation for building competence in bio economy research and business creation. It also significantly increases networking ...
Member's resources and equipments
The Laboratory of Green Chemistry has many characterization equipment including the following:
-Transmission Electron microscope (TEM)
-High resolution X-ray diffractometer
-Fourier transform infrared spectrometer, (FTIR)
-Atomic force microscope (AFM)
Adsorption columns pilot
Two adsorption columns : Diameter: 2.1 cm ,Height: 35 cm
Two flow meters (CD-14, ABB) for adsorption 0.8-12 L/h
Flow meter (CA-14, ABB) for backwashing 3-49 L/h
Two pressure sensors (MHDS, Müller) 0-7 bar
Watson Marlow Model 323 Peristaltic Pump
Membrane bioreactor (MBR) Pilot Plant
Membrane bioreactors (MBRs) have been considered as one of the most promising alternative to the conventional activated sludge processes (CASP) for wastewater treatment and water reclamation.Ask about availability
AOP Pilot plant
AOP pilot plant is used for the degradation of organic pollutants from water or wastewater.Ask about availability
Thin film coating (Dip)
Dip coating process is used for deposition of thin films on the surface of different substrates glass slides, titanium plates, etc.) from inorganic precursors. Thin films obtained using this method are widely used for water treatment by AOPs.Ask about availability
Thin film coating equipment (ALD)
Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) is a self-limiting, sequential surface chemistry that deposits conformal thin-films of materials onto substrates of varying compositions.Ask about availability