Antti, heads the solid-liquid separation and he is also part of the Labratory of Separation and Purification.
About Solid-liquid Separation:
Solid-liquid separation is one of the most common chemical and mining unit operations. Owing to rising energy prices and increasingly scarce water supplies it is essential to strive for stronger energy and water saving solutions in separation processes. In addition, the quality requirements set for the final product of the separation processes are getting tougher, at the same time that new innovations (e.g. in bio-processes and nanotechnology) raise new performance challenges for separation technologies. Solid-liquid separations plays a key role in solving cost efficiently some of these challenges.
For the scientific study of liquid-solid separation phenomena the research group has access to numerous types of laboratory and pilot scale equipment, which together with reliable analytical methods form the basis for modelling the phenomena.
Modelling and interpretation of the basic phenomena play a vital role in the research work. Although the basic phenomena of liquid-solid separation have been extensively studied, much remains undefined regarding the characterization of the interaction between filtration materials and slurries, bio-materials in filtrations, and mathematical modelling
For the scientific study of liquid-solid separation phenomena the research group has access to numerous types of laboratory and pilot scale equipment, which together with reliable analytical methods form the basis for modelling the different phenomena.
- 2006-2007 Project Manager, LUT, Department of Chemical Technology
- 2001-2005 Post –graduate student, LUT, Department of Chemical Technology
- 2001-2005 Part-time teacher, LUT, Department of Chemical Technology
- 2009 Doctor of Science (Technology), LUT,The influence of crystallization conditions on the filtration characteristics
- 2013-2016 Head of the Doctoral Program of Green Chemical Technology
- 2008 – Professor, Solid/Liquid Separation Technology, Lappeenranta University of Technology
- 2016- Head of the Doctoral Program of Engineering Science, LUT School of Engineering Science
- Mining & metallurgy
- Dewatering of metal concentrates
- Tailings treatment processes
- Deliquoring and washing of Red Mud and other leaching suspensions
- Processing of residues generated by the pulp industry
- Solid/liquid separation processes in production of biofuels
- Separation of biochemicals from wood and waste
- Polishing of process waters
- Treatment of mining waters by electrocoagulation & filtration
- Pretreatment for membrane separation processes
- Development, characterization and testing of new filter materials
- Regeneration of filter media
- 58 peer-reviewed articles in international scientific journals
- 82 non-refereed scientific articles and conference presentations
- 2 monographs
- 16 publications intended for professional communities
- 5 patents and invention disclosures
- Number of citations: 404 in Google Scholar, 286 in Scopus
- h-index: 10 in Google Scholar, 9 in Scopus
- i10–index: 11 in Google Scholar (number of papers with ≥ 10 citations)
For further information or R&D enquiries contact
Professor Antti Häkkinen, D.Sc. (Tech)
Tel. 040 354 3218
- Lappeenranta University
- Skinnarilankatu 34,
- 53850 Lappeenranta,
This member is
Member's key competencies
- Pulp & paper
- Sidestreams / recycling
- Water and wastewater
Products and services
- Piloting services
- Research services
- Teaching & training
Technologies and solutions
- Slurry handeling
- Metal/REE recovery and recycling
- Nutrient recovery and recycle
- Process optimization and efficiency solutions
- Recycling (residues/sidestreams/waste)
Supporting technologies and services
Member's place in the value chain
- Components ›
- Technology development ›
- OEM ›
- Technology provider ›
- System integrator ›
- Full plant delivery ›
- EPC ›
- Consumables ›
- Service provider ›
- Build consortium ›
- Co-ordinate the Writing process ›
- Coordinator ›
- Partner ›
- Provide piloting site ›
- Steering team participant ›
The aim of the project is to tackle the grand challenges regarding climate, energy, environment and food security call for new sustainable materials, ...
The main objective of the NordMin WASCIOUS project was to develop a technology concept for water conscious mining, where innovative water and tailings...
Capillary action vacuum drum filter
The aim of this project was to test the operation and performance of a new equipment idea; the ceramic capillary action drum filter. The project consi...
The project focused on technically feasible and cost-effective solutions for the management and utilisation of waste generated when processing mineral...
Energy efficient vacuum filtering Modelling and intelligent control of a horizontal vacuum filter to minimize energy consumption. The energy consumpti...
Real-time monitoring of crystallization processes by time-resolved and low frequency Raman spectrometry and video microscopy (REKI) Background: Crysta...
The aim of ITERAMS is to develop a proof of concept for more environmentally friendly and economic mine site operations, in Europe and globally. For t...
Objective The aim of the EWT-CYNCOR is to upscale electrochemical cyanide and nitrogen removal process to TRL 7 a prototype to demonstrate a solution ...
The Circular economy entrepreneurship in system integrated metal Processing CEESIMP programme, is a global unique grouping of leading Finnish compani...
Urban infra revolution (UIA) will find the solutions how to reduce CO2-emissions in urban construction development. At the same time it tests a new t...
Multi-Stakeholder Platform for a Secure Supply of Refractory Metals in Europe Refractory metals (tungsten, tantalum, rhenium, molybdenum and niobium) ...
Member's resources and equipments
Classification and sample preparation equipment
Different equipment’s include:
2. Vibrating sieves
3. Sample divider
Different types of grinding research equipment includes:
- Tumbling ball mill
- Planetary ball mill
- Stirred media mill
- Hammer mill
Solid-liquid separation equipment
The following equipments are available for use in projects and in some cases can be rented
-Vacuum belt filter
-Vacuum Filter (Buchner)